Building Department FAQ

1. How do I get a copy of my house plan?
          House plans are kept on file with the Building Department for 10 years. Copies of these plans may be obtained by contacting the Building Department at 386-313-4002.
2. Where do I get an address for my property?
          The E-911 Coordinator assigns addresses to property. Contact the coordinator at 386-313-4274.
3. What if I don't get my construction done in the allotted time?
          If the permit is close to expiring, the applicant may request a maximum 90 day extension prior to the expiration date. If the extension is not granted, the applicant is required to re-apply for the permit to complete the project. If the permit expires, the applicant is required to re-apply for the permit in order to complete the project.
4. Can I have subcontractors do some of the work on my job?
          Yes. They must have a valid license for their particular trade.
5. Do I need sanitary facilities on my job site?
          Once work commences on the job site, toilet facilities must be provided.
6. When is a compaction test required?
          When there is more than 12 inches of fill, or the bottom of the footers don't rest on virgin soil.
7. How far from my property line can I erect a structure?
           Flagler County's Zoning office determines what the setbacks should be for a particular job. The office can be reached at 386-313-4009.
8. Who can tell me what I am allowed to build on my property?
          Contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 386-313-4009.
9. Can my Notice of Commencement be filed in another county?
          No, it must be filed in the county where the work is being performed.
10. Where do I file a Notice of Commencement?
          In the Recording Department of the Clerk of Court's Office located at the Flagler County Courthouse 386-437-7361.
11. When is a Notice of Commencement required?
          A notice of commencement is required when the value of the work exceeds $2,500. In the case of repairing or replacing an existing heating or air-conditioning system, a Notice of Commencement is required when the value of work exceeds $7,500. (F.S. 713.13)
12. When can I have my power turned on?
          Early power inspections are required for both residential and commercial properties. The Early Power Application must be completed and submitted to the Building Department prior to requesting the mandatory early power inspection. An inspector will conduct an inspection and determine if it is safe to energize the structure. Permanent power is required to be on prior to requesting a final inspection.
13. Who is allowed to call for an inspection?
          Whoever is listed as the contractor of record.
14. Do my plans have to be on the job site for inspection?
          All plans and documents are required to be on site for all inspections.
15. Are there fees for re-inspection?
          Yes, the first re-inspection is $30, the next re-inspection of the same type is $60, and the third of the same type will be $120 in accordance with F.S. 553.80(c).
16. When are inspectors available?
         Inspectors are generally available in the office between 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
17. When I call for an inspection, when will it be done?
          The following working day for building inspections.
18. When is the latest I can schedule an inspection?
          6 a.m. the day of the inspection.
19. How do I request an inspection?
          All inspection requests are made by calling A.I.R.S. (Automated Inspection Request System) at 386-313-4090.