Emergency Suppy Kit
Flagler County encourages its residents to collect some basic supplies to ensure survival for at least three days in the event of an emergency. Because individuals and households are unique, please consider the needs of each and every family member – including pets. Residents should consider two kits: one full kit for home, and a smaller portable kit for the workplace or vehicle.
FEMA recommended Basic Emergency Supply Kit:
- Water — one (1) gallon of water per person, per day, for at least three days to be used for drinking and sanitation.
- Food — at least a three-day supply on non-perishable food. Choose foods the family will eat even under blue skies. Include some snacks and comfort food to ease stress.
- Radio(s) – battery powered or hand-crank radio, and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert. Have extra batteries for both.
- Flashlight(s) – and extra batteries.
- Whistle – to be used to signal for help.
- Dust mask – to help filter contaminated air, and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place.
- Moist towelettes – and other personal sanitation items like garbage bags and plastic ties.
- Wrench or pliers – to turn off utilities.
- Manual can opener
- Local maps
FEMA - additional considerations:
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water
- Important family documents, such as copies of insurance policies, indentification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler's checks and change
- Emergency reference material, such as a First Aid book
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing, including a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – for disinfectant (9 parts water to 1 part bleach); or as EMERGENCY drinking water (16 drops per 1 gallon of water). Do not use scented, color-safe, or bleaches with added cleaners
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, paper plates, plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children