Hurricane Irma FAQ

SEE Questions below. Check back for updates.


Are any of Flagler County's parks closed?
Yes. Princess Place Preserve has been closed since Hurricane Irma hit, and will remain closed until flooded water levels recede. Persistent, heavy rainfalls after the hurricane have prevented drainage — there is no place for the water to go.
Is Princess Place the only park that is closed?
Three additional parks have partial closures.
River to Sea Preserve — is closed west of State Road A1A. The beachside of the park is open.
Varn Park — is open, but the south ADA-accessible walkover is closed.
Shell Bluff Park — is open, but the boat ramp is closed.


I still have debris. Is Hurricane Irma Debris Collection still underway?
Yes. Flagler County is responsible for the vegetative debris within the UNINCORPORATED areas of Flagler County. During the week of October 23 to 29, 2017, Flagler County is focusing on the publically maintained roads in Daytona North, and on private roadways throughout unincorporated Flagler County.

Has Flagler County started picking up the vegetative debris on private roads and in private, gated communities?
Yes. Crews are in Maritime Estates working south into Matanzas Shores. Vegetative debris collection is nearly complete in Plantation Bay. The crews currently working there will then focus on the Fairchild Oaks community.

Privately-maintained roads require "legal right of entry" forms from individuals, and from homeowners associations where applicable. Any HOA with private roadways may contact Michael Esposito at 386-313-4040, or by email, if no agreement has been received.
I live on a private street, but we don't have an HOA. How do I get the agreement to sign?
Download, complete and sign the agreement. Contact Michael Esposito at 386-313-4040, or by email, for additional information.
Has Flagler County finished clearing vegetative debris from any roadways?
Yes. As of October 26, 2017, Flagler County has completed vegetative debris collection from the following roadways:

Elizabeth Drive West
Elizabeth Drive East
Old A1A (North)
Wendi Drive
Debra Lane
Moody Drive
16th Road West
17th Road West
18th Road
Sanchez Avenue South
Sanchez Avenue North
20th Road
19th Road
Painters Walk
Pamela Parkway
Bay Drive
Wildwood Drive
St Johns Avenue
Valencia Street
Emily Place
Carolina Highway
Central Avenue
James Roy Avenue
John Herschel Avenue East
Debra Drive
Likens Avenue
Shady Lane North
Shady Lane South
Old A1A (center)
Old A1A (south)
Magnolia Road
Bay Road
Johnson Beach Way
Jungle Hut Road
Holly Road
Live Oak Road
Malacompra Road
Palmetto Road
Wayne Avenue
Weldon Way
Wildowood Lane
Wildwood Drive
Osprey Drive
Osprey Circle North
Osprey Circle South
Hawks Lane
Old Brick Road (State Road 100)
Bulow Woods Circle
Trail Run
Maple Street
County Road 90 East
County Road 90 West
County Road 75
County Road 65
County Road 80
Aldo Circle
Aldo Drive
Diane Street
Creek Bluff Run
Indian Mound Court
County Road 95
County Road 2007
County Road 110
Quarter Horse Lane
Pine Tree Lane
Florida Avenue (105 South)
Espanola Road
Carver Street
Lincoln Avenue
Railroad Street
Main Street
Oak Avenue (Espanola)
Knox Jones Avenue
Falcon Fire Place
County Road 105 North
County Road 105 South
County Road 108
County Road 115 North
County Road 115 South
County Road 125
County Road 135 North
County Road 135 South
County Road 140
County Road 2006 East
Durrance Lane
Old Haw Creek Road
Old Moody Boulevard
Opossum Lane/ County Road 14
Park Place Avenue
Pinto Lane
Potatoville Road
Princess Place Road
Yelvington Road
Forest Park Street (unincorporated)
Forest Park Street (Daytona North)
County Road 200
County Road 202
County Road 203
County Road 207
County Road 325
County Road 330
County Road 335
County Road 35
High Street
Old Dupont Road
Park Place (Korona)
Sleepy Hollow
St Josephs Street
Buckskin Lane
Bareback Trail
Cone Road
County Road 15
County Road 25
County Road 45
County Road 55
County Road 67
Hargrove Grade
Otis Stone Hunter
Kielb Road
Shadow Lane
Sawgrass Road
Rodeo Road
Relay Road
Sunny Road
Bridle Path Lane
Canham Street
Chicken Farm Road
Maverick Lane
Pringle Road
Forgotten Lane
County Road 305
County Road 302
County Road 304
Old Kings Road - North
Washington Street
Water Oak Road
CR 2009/Lake Disston Road
Laurel Drive East
Laurel Lane
Mahoe Drive South
Mahoe Drive North
Armand Beach Drive
16th Road (east)
1st Avenue
Rollins Dunes Drive
Ocean Vista Lane
Malacompra Road
Cherokee Avenue
John Bulow Circle
Audubon Lane
Coacochee Drive
Wilderness Run
Bulow's Landing
Sugarmill Lane South
Colbert Lane
Roberts Road
Aspen Street (Daytona North)
Old Kings Road - South
Old Dixie Highway
Berrybush Street (Daytona North)
Rosewood (Daytona North)
Sherwood Street (Daytona North)
County Road 2006 - West

How  much debris has Flagler County collected?
Contracted debris haulers and Flagler County staff have completed vegetative debris hauling on public roadways in many areas. A total of 30,000 cubic yards of debris, or 1,300 truckloads, has been collected and transported to the final disposition site between September 21 and October 25 for some 183 roads and four Flagler County parks. Collection from Princess Place Preserve is ongoing.
Why is vegetative debris collection taking so long?
Due to the widespread impact of Hurricane Harvey in Texas and Irma in Florida, the demand for trucking services has greatly exceeded the available resources. In an effort to expedite debris removal, Flagler County has deployed resources — trucks, equipment, and labor — toward the debris collection. The bulk of the vegetative debris collection has been done by Flagler County staff, who have been working at the task 12 hours a day, seven days a week.
I have debris from demolition and reconstruction. When will that be collected?

There will be a second pass made only for the flooded areas of unincorporated Flagler County to collect construction and demolition (C&D) debris, to include drywall, lumber, carpet furniture and plumbing and white goods, such as refrigerators, stoves, water heaters, dishwashers, washer/dryers and air conditioners. Further information will be provided about this pickup at a later date.

How should debris be separated?

Debris should be separated by category. Do not mix vegetative debris with other items or it will NOT be collected. Do NOT bag debris. Regular household garbage should also be separated. The debris should be placed immediately adjacent to the right-of-way where it will be collected.

What do I do with hazardous waste?

Household hazardous waste and electronics will not be picked up curbside and should be brought to the drop-off center located at 1700 South Old Kings Road. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Will there be a second pass for debris collection?
Not for vegetative debris. There will be a second pass made only for the flooded areas of unincorporated Flagler County to collect construction and demolition (C&D) debris, to include drywall, lumber, carpet furniture and plumbing and white goods, such as refrigerators, stoves, water heaters, dishwashers, washer/dryers and air conditioners.
Why isn't any of this vegetative debris being collected with regular curbside collections?
Garbage is collected twice a week under the guidelines established by Waste Pro, 386-586-0800. Secure bundles of yard waste must not exceed 4 feet in length or 50 pounds in weight.
Waste Pro does not collect the following:
  • Construction, remodeling, and demolition debris, including concrete materials and bricks or brickwork
  • Automotive parts such as automotive bodies, engines, transmissions, batteries, tires, and marine parts
  • Materials/waste from commercial operations, including lawn/yard services
  • Loose items, unbundled tree trimmings, and branches
  • Oil, paints, insecticides, chemicals, and other hazardous waste
  • Excessive matter or debris resulting from land clearing and/or land development


Do I need a permit to make repairs to the damage to my home caused by Hurricane Irma?
Flagler County is waiving some of its building permit fees through November 13 to fast-track the process for those who have property damage following Hurricane Irma. The work has to be storm-related damage. Special exceptions will be made in the following areas:
  • Roofing (one) 1 square of shingles – 10 feet by 10 feet or less – no permit or plan review required
  • Soffit and gutters – no permit required
  • Fence repair or replacement – no permit required if the previous one was issued between 2006 and 2017
  • Electrical repairs – permit required, but a plan review is not required
  • A/C change-out – permit required
  • Aluminum – permits are required
Specific questions about permits and inspections should be directed to 386-313-4003.
I've never hired a contractor. Do you have any advice?

Make sure to hire only licensed contractors for repair work. Here are some tips to use when hiring a contractor:

  • Avoid door-to-door solicitors.
  • Insist on references, a proper license, bonding and insurance. Check out credentials.
  • Make sure the contract can be broken if you don’t receive financing. Hire a contractor with a real office, not just a post office box address.
To check the status of a contractor, click HERE. Upon arrival at the linked page, click on the appropriate search on the left. The "click here" link on that page is no longer live.
What do I do if I find out a contractor is unlicensed?


What is the best way to protect my family from mosquito-borne illnesses?

The Florida Department of Health-Flagler recommends preventative measures like "Drain and Cover."

DRAIN standing water to stop mosquitoes from multiplying.

  • Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, buckets, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots or any other containers where sprinkler or rain water has collected.
  • Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items that aren't being used.
  • Empty and clean birdbaths and pet's water bowls at least once or twice a week. Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
  • Maintain swimming pools in good condition and appropriately chlorinated. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use.

COVER skin with clothing or repellent. 

  • Clothing - Wear shoes, socks, and long pants and long-sleeves. This type of protection may be necessary for people who must work in areas where mosquitoes are present.
  • Repellent - Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing.
  • Always use repellents according to the label. Repellents with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol, and IR3535 are effective.
  • Use mosquito netting to protect children younger than 2 months old.

COVER doors and windows with screens to keep mosquitoes out of your house. 

  • Repair broken screening on windows, doors, porches, and patios.
DOH continues to conduct statewide surveillance for mosquito-borne illnesses, including West
Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, St. Louis Encephalitis, Malaria and Dengue. For more
information on mosquito-borne illnesses, visit DOH’s Web site at or
call your local county health department.