Federal Government Links
Flagler County, named after the famous railroad builder Henry Flagler, was incorporated in 1917. It is believed that Timucua Indians were among the area’s earliest inhabitants, who settled in Northeast Florida as early as 2000 BC. European settlement in Flagler County began during the time of the Spanish occupation of St. Augustine. During the subsequent British occupation, “King’s Road” was built connecting south Georgia with the Turnbull Colony at New Smyrna, providing greater access to the area. Portions of this road remain today, as Old Kings Road, and it still serves as one of Flagler County’s major north-south corridors.