Small Quantity Generator Groups
Small quantity generator groups fall into two categories:
- Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) – It generates no more than 100 kilograms (220 pounds or about half a 55-gallon drum) in any one month, or less than one kilogram of an acute hazardous waste (e.g., arsenic and cyanide compounds), and never accumulates more than 1,000 kilograms (2,200 pounds) of hazardous waste at any time.
- Small Quantity Generator (SQG) – It generates more than 100 kilograms (220 pounds) but less than 1,000 kilograms (2,200 pounds) in any one month, approximately one-half to five drums.
Small Quantity Generators (SQGs) must:
- Obtain a EPA / DEP identification number
- Accumulate no more than 6,000 kilograms (13,200 pounds) of hazardous waste for longer than 180 days
- Implement a Preparedness and Prevention Plan
- Use a DEP-approved transporter for off-site shipment of hazardous material
- Use a multiple-copy manifest
- Maintain a copy of the manifest for a period of three years
- Dispose hazardous waste only at a permitted RCRA facility
- File an exception report if a copy of the manifest is not returned from the disposal facility within 60 days of the date the waste was shipped
For more information or assistance, please contact Flagler County Solid Waste at (386) 517-2075 or the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Hazardous Waste Regulation Section at (800) 741-4337.